You are viewing barrettfaneuf

Power Chick Boatworks - "Little, easy jobs", eh?
Where Barrett Builds Boats
browse
my journal
links
April 2008
free text
 

High Priestess of the Power Chicks
Date: 2008-04-08 09:15
Subject: "Little, easy jobs", eh?
Security: Public
There isn't much left to do but the small, easy jobs. Unfortunately, take enough small, easy jobs and string them in a line, and one starts learning that Time Each x Number of Jobs = 45 squillion minutes.



Let's see. I made the battery "box":
Battery box

It's not really a box, it's more of a sturdy tray with tie-down points, and a decency screen on the front, because I don't like looking at the battery. Again, small boat is proving more hassle than large, since everything is hanging out to be seen. If I could squirrel the battery away in an engine room, believe me I would not bother with a cute little panel.
Battery box

Then I made Yet More Sawdust bucking up large cedar beams, and got to work on the floorboards. Oh yes, no bit of wood actually comes to me in convenient thicknesses with neat edges. I have 3.5" x 8" x 10' cedar roughsawn timber, which I have to turn into usable stock. Nothing's simple.

The floorboards, like the seats, are planked onto separate cleats, not directly onto their respective framing. This means they can be easily lifted to get at the bilge. Unlike the seats, they have gaps between the planks to let them drain. I start by clamping some cleats to the floors:
Floorboard cleats are clamped to floors

Spacers are added between cleats and floors to prevent the floorboards binding. The cleats are tapered at the ends to let them fit the hull.

Then I fit outer planks, just like the seats:
Floorboards being fitted

It's actually a good thing the floorboards are tapered. Sure, it means sawing, planing and fitting every one, but it also means i can dodge the big knots in my cedar stock. I actually don't have nearly enough clear stock to make full-width floorboards.

Once three or so planks are on the cleats, I' feel comfortable taking away the clamps and finishing the plank fitting on the bench. Then, the ends are trimmed:
Complete set of forward floorboards

And finally, I saw the cleats in half and sand the raw ends. This allows the floorboards to be lifted in halves:
Floorboards are divided to lift in halves

To keep the floorboards from sliding around when partly removed like this, a couple alignment pegs are stuck into the floors. This one is 1/2" bronze rod to allow a finger gap for floorboard lifting.
Al;ignment peg for floorboards is bronze rod

Then all the screw holes get plugged and chiseled fair, and they're done. I left the top surface lightly grooved as it comes out of my thickness sander, that will give a bit of traction for walking on. Oh, a word on plugs. The seats and floorboards have effortlessly swallowed three hundred no. 8 bronze screws - stainless makes cedar go black - and that means 300 cedar plugs to cut. Nothing's easy!

Then another little task, the finagling of the inlet water strainer. The only place there's enough room in the bilge is under these very same floorboards. I have to mount the strainer on its side to fit. This is not a problem functionally, i'll just get a bit of water in the bilge when it gets cleaned out. No big deal compared to not having a strainer and sucking something into the coolant pump.

One of my least favorite things is drilling holes in the boat:
Inlet cooland hole

Thankfully, this is the only one below the waterline. I epoxy-sealed and bonded the doubler, too.

The inlet strainer plumbing had to be a little involved to fit in the space. I don't think I'll need to cut down the through-hull, thankfully, but it's a very close thing.
Inlet strainer plumbing

Installing might well be a two-person job, since there is simply no space to screw the fittings together in the boat. Therefore the plumbing has to get pre-assembled and dropped in, and the through-hull screwed in from below. That'll be entertaining for a fly on the wall observer if I try to do it myself.

The other hole that had to get drilled is the exhaust hole. This took some willpower, believe me.
Exhaust hole is cut

At least it looks good with the two-inch bronze fitting ... dang that thing is big...
Exhaust through-hull fitted

Then I vacuumed a lot and put some sealer on the transom. No pics!

Oof, time to do my "real" job~

Post A Comment | 1 Comment | Share | Link






User: (Anonymous)
Date: 2008-04-18 21:54 (UTC)
Subject: No news
I was beginning to worry about the lack of updates here but I just read about your plans to launch this weekend, on the WBF.

I'm sure you'll get us caught up once you get that big event behind you. :)
Reply | Thread | Link